PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rejected Takeoff Test A340. 3 fires one hose.
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 13:14
cargo boy
I've only made a few posts so I don't feel the need to order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now, I really don't want to stir the pot but there are really some very amateur spotters contributing to this thread.

I was not aware, that North Carolina is still french. (Thats where the wheel manufacturer Goodrich is based....)
DO Goodrich manufacture the whole landing gear assembly, including the wheel rims? It would appear to me that the the landing gear stood up very well, during and after the test. The wheel rims are another matter of course.

The 'Sapeur Pompier' who is seen in the video is a very brave man. Would you risk everything standing under 300 odd tons of aircraft when everything that is supporting it is in flames and disintigrating in front of you? No, I thought not.

Anyway, the bit about the landing gear is not really applicable. Are the fuse plugs that are supposed to melt before the pressure inside the tyres becomes too high and prevent the wheels from exploding, a part of the tyre or the wheel rims?

According to Airbus sources the aircraft was fitted with Michelin's NZG radial tyres, which, according to Airbus, were believed to have performed adequately. Isn't Michelin a French company? Just teasing there. If the fuse plugs were a part of the tyre then I suppose that the fault would lay with the tyre manufacturer or if the plugs are a part of the wheel assembly then the fault would be with whoever designed and manufactured that bit.

As a Boeing driver and one who is distinctly uncomfortable with 'the dark side' and all the new philosophies (only because I'm too old and long in the tooth to have to learn them if I should be transferred to a Tuppaware jet), I was impressed with the B777 V1 reject trials that were filmed. Perhaps Airbus just need to make sure their cockpit video trials are edited suitable before being leaked to the public.

Still, it does make for entertaining watching and then reading some of the comments from complete know-it-alls who obviously don't. To those who do know what they are talking about, thank you for your insight. As for the French firefighters, unless any of you have the cojones to do their job then at least have a bit of respect for the danger they are prepared to put themselves in so that the test pilots and their crew have a chance of getting out.