PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing and vintage flying
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 11:19
betterfromabove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vintage CPL'ing

Have been thinking along the same lines myself recently after getting a Tiger conversion, although P/T. Can't believe there aren't more people wanting to do this?!?

Probably going to start the CPL ground exams with GTS in Bournemouth in the New Year. Went to see them a while back & are a very friendly bunch & only heard good things about them from past students I've spoke to (...lots of +ve feedback on here too...)

Would be very interested to hear from anyone doing this already. Quite how many hours on type would you need to build up on type? Considering the rarity of the aircraft, would you be better instructing within a syndicate or even buying your own aircraft & operating as a "one-man-band"? How does it work in practice?!?

From my own Tiger-taming experiences, can see the obvious challenges as far as instructing goes (open cockpits making discussion VERY difficult, crosswind "amusements", different control harmonisation etc). You need a kind of "mentor instructor" that are hard to find these days.... are there any FIE speciliasing in this kind of thing?

Cheers
BFA