PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Redbull Cheesedick Awards 2006
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 09:31
Apgrau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pass-A-Frozo
manamana hit it on the head. 90% of the public wouldn't know what uniform you are wearing anyway. You / We may think it is an achievement to be a pilot, but I most of the population don't care. [I like the point someone made about other trades. Anyone care to walk up to the builders in the local pub after work wearing the "XYZ Building Company" fluoro shirt and tell them they are tools? I offer two case examples of public not even knowing:
1> Driving to work I realise I need petrol (Should I strip to my underwear?!). I'm wearing a flying suit. Fill up. Petrol man with smile on face : "Are you a race car driver?"
2> Walking to meeting in CBD in RAAF uniform (blues). Bunch of school kids walking past say "Oooooooohhhh... Mr Security guard... you should have tried harder at school" .. haha That made me pi$$ myself laughing!
My point is
1> If you need to do something (like pick up milk / fill up from a servo) on the way home, are you really suggesting "Do your best to ensure no-one [especially another pilot!] knows your a pilot.
2> I think a few of you are a little of the mark (and probably arrogant yourself!) thinking Joe Public either will recognise you are wearing a pilot uniform or actually give a ****.
3> If you are actually dressing up for no reason other than to dress up and be seen by others - then THAT is probably what people here are attacking. The thing is, you need to know whether they were dressing up or were wearing that stuff for a reason (as someone said, a static display at an airshow)
So to extend it should military people change before heading out for a beer after the ANZAC day dawn service? (after their military duty of attending a dawn service has finished)
Actually I believe the manual of dress states that wearing the "Flying Badge" (if entitled) is optional. Should RAAF pilots take their wings off when walking around the base?
haha! classic.
I totally agree to the above!
I ran into Coles in uniform once and an old lady asked me if I work there and if I knew where the isle with the cereal was!!
To get to the point though, I do feel sorry for the guys that dress up in full uniform to go out shopping... And I know at least one of them!
I have also heard these words come out of a pilots mouth once too: "If only all these people here knew we are pilots.."
On the other hand, I wish I had met more pilots when I was a kid, I would have definitely asked a couple of questions..The only problem is that the only way to recognise a pilot is from his uniform!
I guess any young kid is better off without the advice and inspiration of a pilot who is ashamed to walk around in his uniform though..
Hooroo.