PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS - Australia
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 06:00
Pegasus747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAAA Media comments

Just thought that you would like to know that re the proposed purchase of Qantas, MM from the FAAA was intervied by a number of media outlets and was heard on 2UE.

The Media are not interested when the Unions talk about job security issues for their members.

However mention sex, strike, or something catchy they will run you as the lead story. Unfortunately the public dont want Qantas sold for parochial reasons. But they always want the promise of cheaper airfares and that's inevitably the spin that the media will run.

At the end of the day i think that the only hope will be the restrictions placed of foriegn ownership. I would also suggest that if the share price rose above $5 the staff (if they havent already sold their shares) would be among the first to sell.

who knows..perhaps the public will really surprise me on this. But when flight attendants threatened induistrial action in 2004 when Qantas was openeing the London base and we were desperate to get another EBA with protections....the caring public couldnt have given a ****e to be quite frank.

At the end of the day most australians want cheap airfares and think that qantas workers are overpaid and over priveleged.

Sad but true