PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe to acquire BA Connect (Crew thread - no spotters)
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 01:27
JA1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back To Basics

Guys, let's not forget that as a Company Flybe will be better off in terms of routes, personnel and finance. Hopefully, with increased numbers of pilots coming from the takeover, the workload will be gradually eased on the current low numbers of Q400 captains. All bonuses to Flybe and its crews.

Also, things look pretty good for the BACON pilots too. It has been metioned before, and I'll say it again. At least you have superior job security now rather than a P45 for Christmas. Rebasing is now a realistic option for virtually all corners of the UK, if that's what you want. F/Os with 2000hrs are also now facing the prospect of a command very soon, accompanied by the increased pay check.

The way I see it is that wherever you're from, you'll be in a better situation going into 2007.

Jim French isn't stupid. He has turned around Jersey European into Flybe very successfully even with questionable middle management. Now, he has an even better team in place and I have no doubt he will do the same again once BACON is onboard in the next few months. As for the remark about getting business ideas from his daughter, well you BACON guys must understand that the vast majority of our sales come from the internet. His daughter is from the internet generation, unlike Jim himself, and so it is largely this factor that has enabled Flybe to leap ahead of BACON in terms of ticket sales and ancilliary revenues from the web, in which most people now expect to be able to buy a ticket. By comparison, hardly any tickets are sold by BACON online.

Salaries aside - let's assume the new Flybe pays the same for both 145 and Q400, and why shouldn't it? Why are EMB145 jocks not considering a move onto the Q400 as a step forward. Similar performance, heavier and arguably a better type rating to have in the book. Trust me, it will be a shock to the system - you may have to do more than point and shoot, but it's a good plane to fly, especially if it means being based where you want.

Yes, seniority lists and salaries will be an issue and no doubt they will be heavily negotiated. And time will tell.

But in the meantime, lots of pilots posting on this thread are getting the arrogant reputation of BA Mainline pilots. I for one, certainly don't want Flybe to fill up with a shed load of tw@ts for pilots. Flybe have got a great bunch now, so let's not dilute it with tossers. And I know, as having worked for BACX in the past that they have a good bunch too.

For Christ's sake, let's not all start off on the wrong foot as arch enemies. We may have been that once in the form of Flybe vs. BACON but that is no longer. From here on, we should find a way forward to keep the majority happy and make our new working lives together better than they would have otherwise been.

Give Flybe a chance. It's a good company, despite it's faults. The grass isn't necessarily greener elsewhere. At the end of the day, you can always leave.

But quit the bloody moaning and slagging each other off. It's getting boring!