PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2006, 21:14
MamaPut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

sox6,

I understand the hostages (7 out of a crew of around 85) were taken from the FPSO Mystras, operated by AENR (basically a division of Agip), about 30 miles south of Bonny Island. Whilst they were being taken off into the swamps they met up with a JTF (Joint Task Force) patrol and during the exchange of fire a British hostage and 2 militants were killed and an Italian hostage seriously injured. My sincere condolences to the family of the unfortunate victim of this tragedy.
I wonder if Agip mentioned anything to Aero Contractors who fly several flights a day to the Mystras? They have a habit of conveniently forgetting such things
It all just goes to highlight that the Niger Delta is effectively a war zone, even if the oil companies and helicopter operators in the region don't want to recognise the fact and compensate their workers for the danger involved in operating in this very dangerous environment I think this is the first time an expatriate hostage has been killed in the violence during the last 5 years, even if it was indirectly as a result of crossfire.
To all those flying in the region - don't forget that you don't have to be the primary target, a bullet may still kill you, even if you are not the one it was originally aimed at. Avoid the temptation to get too close to what may be a boatload of heavily armed gunmen in the swamp areas of the Delta and leave that job to the Nigerian security forces, who are paid to take that risk.
I wonder if Mr Brian Clegg, the Operations Director of CHC still thinks that the pilots and engineers of CHC are working in a 'tropical paradise'?