PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R M Ansett
Thread: R M Ansett
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2006, 18:46
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
B772, correct, we actually had the slots booked for the A300 as I recall.

The thing about Boeings offer is that it looked at all our needs and we had two problems at the time.

The first was that TAA would get the A300 first and we couldn't get one for at least 18 months I think leaving us at a serious disadvantage especially on the Perth run, which I don't think we could do direct and secondly because the A300 had a much better first class. The 767 was going to be at least two years away.

The second was our need for a DC9 replacement.

The Boeing proposal gave us the 727ER's (leased or buyback as I recall until the 767 was available) so we could do the direct flights. It gave us the 737 to replace the DC9 - and that was a competitive advantage against TAA (who wants to fly in a railway tunnel?).

We were the first international customer for the 767 which gave us a very good price.

The whole thing was financed by the U.S. Exim bank at three and a bit percent (well below market rates). Rupert had had lunch with Jimmy Carter(?) at the Whitehouse a few weeks before which allegedly helped a bit.

I was one of the 146 tire kickers and I could find little to like about the aircraft and the condescending manner of the British sales team didn't help either. Saw the first prototype of the 146 (can't remember Hatfield or Filton) as my brother in law was an BAe engineer. The reason it had four engines is that there wasn't another engine around with the necesaary power as a twin so it got the bloody ALF504 or whatever its called. Still have the 146 cufflinks though.

P.S. Guess what happened to the DC9's? Anyone remember L H?