PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The new way to fly an ab initio trainer
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2006, 09:01
Awol57

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Captain Nomad
Awol 57,
Fair enough, I'll agree that full flap would provide some masking to the rudder - but enough to warrent a policy of not doing sideslips because of this concern alone? I can gaurantee that if you are flying at a normal approach speed there is plenty enough rudder authority there to kick in and hold a good sideslip. If perchance you feel things are getting out of hand all you have to do is neutralise the rudder and hold the wings level and you will be back in balance in a flash as most basic trainers are very positively directionally stable!
Dreamer J - sorry but open your eyes! I think you have a bit of learning to do...
Sorry it wasn't quite so much a policy of not doing it. It wasn't encouraged (though I agree the masking wasn't that bad) but we were not to teach it during ab initio circuits. It was covered off in the training area, what a sideslip was, how it can be used etc. In a C152 you really shouldn't need to set up a sideslip on finals if you have set the aircraft up correctly (with or without flap). The thing is as docile as it comes, which is I guess why we didn't teach it.

Agreed though, its not hard to stabilise it as you said. I just taught how they asked me too I can see the reasoning behind it.

Also agree you can't put a blanket rule out there like that. We did talk about why we didn't let them sideslip with flap out (hopefully after an explanation most left with an understanding rather than a "You can never sideslip any aircraft with full flap). Sorry guys way off topic