PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - General aviation and flight training in the USA is about to be regulated into oblivio
Old 9th Jan 2002, 08:22
zerozero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if GA will be regulated into oblivion but I can imagine psych tests for *every* pilot applicant from now on.

For better or for worse (I don't really have an opinion here) many airlines already use them.

I can imagine a day when Joe Sixpack Private Pilot needs a 10 year background check, a security clearance and a note from an FAA appointed psychologist saying that he's fit to fly his family down the coast.

It's the end of an era really. America has been extraordinarily fortunate that we've enjoyed such a long period of relatively cheap and liberal general aviation.

And I'm ambivalent, quite honestly. I learned to fly at the local airport. Those Mom and Pop flight schools are really a lot of fun, but let's be honest: Ozzie and Harriet ain't running the show.

I imagine that in 20 years America will get its pilots either from the military (once again) or Euro-style (ab initio, academy cadet).

Either way, the candidate will be screened like something out of the "Right Stuff."