PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Global Search for ATCs
Old 22nd Nov 2006, 00:39
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave The Snail
SM4 Pirate - out of curiosity, what did you mean earlier when you talked about the age profile of tower controllers etc - I know I'm a bit slow but it went over my head.
My understanding is that there are somewhere upwards of 150 people over 50 still working online; most of those reside in tower locations... I believe the average age in towers is 45+; of course this has been reduced by the abintio direct tower courses (what success the CDP has been, not!) they are doing at the moment; but there are lots of people waiting to be released from centres and tcus to get those illustrious tower jobs; but the 'tipping point' would be if those eligible for retirement gave notice; they are the cork in the botle (collectively). I believe that there are very similar issues within the TCUs (particularly out of BN and ML) regarding age profiles.

The reason they use profiles is that averages might not tell the real story. Might be average age at a location 35; but that is because it has 4 who are 50 and 4 who are 20. The profile tells us we need 4 within 3 years at that location (on average retirment age); but we might need 4 in 3 months as they are entitled to go now; it's just how do you position yourself HR wise for the what if's (carry fat for the retirements or guess at getting it right and suffer the consequences if you guess wrong). Take the US controllers contract for example; stay and you effectively get less than you would if you retire now; well ok not rocket science, I'm out of here. The next CA will be very interesting, or the AWA battle will be more so.