PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preferred choice of engine.
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2006, 20:44
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Gomer, the startup difference describes the advantage between having DEC and not having DEC well. I could see no reference of PT6 familly having DEC, but assume it is fitted. As you say DEC is fitted to later Arrial 2B, on latest Eurocopters:

It features a dual-channel Electronic Engine Control Unit (EECU) with manual backup.
Blackhawk9, with 3000 SHP available in the GE CT7/T700 i can see why you would want to avoid pistons! It looks like a thoroughbred developed from battle proven technology. Lycoming T-53 and T-55 are only available as spares now, so can't compete. GE T58 is just hanging on, but probably showing its design age.

Couldn't see any distinguishing features for Turbomeca Makila. Also not sure which ship PT6T Twinpack is fitted to.

In general, i'm impressed (as usual) that helicopter pilots have such a profound knowledge of their aircraft. I guess the engine does maketh the machine...

Mart

Last edited by Graviman; 21st Nov 2006 at 21:20. Reason: Typos and general tidyup.