PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R M Ansett
Thread: R M Ansett
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2006, 20:44
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Perhaps the reason he engendered such fierce loyalty was that he was very liberal in doling out recognition of good work, as were people like Bondy and a lot of others. Its a pity Qantas can't do the same (see the Qantas Morale Thread), maybe it would improve their morale.

The management structure was pretty flat, but there was recognition at all levels and there was never, to my knowledge, the suggestion that we were simply unimportant drones.

To put it another way, we only had a vague idea of who was on the Board of the company, we didn't hang breathlessly on Board decisions made by business superstars. We simply got on with the job and were occasionally recognised for it - and got a kick in the backside if we didn't do it right as well. Ansett was an inclusive culture.

Let me give you just a few examples that I'm aware of.

- As a lowly cubicle dweller, I was part of the team who worked on 767 purchase. I got sent to Seattle and was wined and dined and watched them build the first prototype.

- I got sent as a "representative of the company" to numerous ATA meetings in the States, again as a lowly cubicle dweller, went to Europe a few times as well.

- A stack of LAME's of all ages went to Seattle, they were extremely well looked after by Boeing.

The team who worked out the 767 entry into service - which was a big thankless job, were told the week before it arrived to pack their bags, they were going on the roadshow with the aircraft, and they did the full tour of capital cities with the best of accomodation and refreshments.

I'll get all teary in a minute (sniff)