PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe to acquire BA Connect (Crew thread - no spotters)
Old 21st Nov 2006, 17:42
Anodyne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A number of protagonists on this thread seem to assume that it’s ultimately up to the pilots to decide how the seniority lists are combined, actually it’s the management's final decision. If we can work together and produce a compromise that we can present as the will of the overwhelming majority of the pilots, the management would have a hard time going against that, however if we act as two separate warring groups the management will be able to play divide and rule to the detriment of us all. Also, unity will set the precedent that will put us in a strong position for the follow on negotiations on issues such as scheduling.

As has been mentioned we are regional pilots, and as such accept slightly lower rates of pay compared to Airbus and Boeing drivers, in return for which we place more importance on lifestyle issues, such as basing and a scheduling agreements that allow a life outside work. If Mr French and his team realise that and meet those aspirations, he will end up with a loyal and dedicated pilot workforce eager to participate in the continued success of FlyBe, but If he fails to meet those aspirations people will vote with their feet, so while not all will be able to leave on the first day of integration, over the next recruiting seasons FlyBe will haemorrhage pilots faster than a chicken in a halal butchers shop, and a year to eighteen months from now will be back to it’s current experience shortage.

The moderacy of the majority of the people on this thread means that I am looking forward to flying with my new FlyBe colleagues in what I hope will be a successful and civilised company to work for, and like many at BACON I am relieved to be out from under the cold dead hand of BA misrule. At the same time we all, whether existing FlyBe or ex BACON, need to make it abundantly clear to the management that as a group we speak with one voice, that in the current job market we have options, and that our CVs are polished, up to date, and ready to roll.