PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Movie "Aviary" - please tell me that's not true?!
Old 21st Nov 2006, 16:12
kmp1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Basically that I had the impression that the only thing they're after is to get a guy. Whether it is to get him in bed or to marry him to be able to retire. Any motivation in having a life of one's own? Is there life before death?"
Yes it does give this impression but no - thins is not accurate!

"That they treat and talk to each other all too often as if the other one represents the lower end of the people on this planet?"
Not accurate either - infact one of things that I have found with US airlines is they seem if anything more down to earth than European airlines since working for the airline industry is not as prestigious as it is seen as in Europe / Australia

"That they sit in uniform in a flat waiting to be called when being on call or standby or reserve or whatever it's called? And that whilst constantly using their cell phones for all the other calls? The least would be to hang around in private clothes? Or go somewhere do something? The idea of a cell phone is that it's mobile?"
Yes - we all had a big chuckle at this one.... When we have a month of reserve we are definitely NOT in uniform (unless airport standby which is only a 4 hour shift) But at home on reserve as long as you are within 4 hours of getting to the airport and contactable by phone or beeper it's fine!

"That they don't go out to see the city they basically live in or at least are based in? "
Yes - it did seem like they never left the apartment!

"That they sit at the bar and actually chat about the pilots and even find them hot when they get to the bar in their uniform wearing their hats??? And that you sit at a bar wearing your uniform in the first place? Don't you want to get rid of that the earliest? Besides the fact that the company might not like to see that (subject alcohol and flying / being on duty or representing the company)?"
Yes this one was really NOT accurate! We would get fired being in a bar or even buying alcohol if in uniform of ANY sort.... Yes the uniform get's ditched as soon as you get to the hotel room / home! We don't find pilot's hot - lol

"That the pilots wear their uniform (especially jackets) even in hotel rooms? And wear their hats even when sitting in the flight deck? Or even worse, are at a party with other colleagues - be it flight attendants or pilots - in their uniforms? And go on funerals or whatever official date it might be in their uniforms? "
LOL - no ! but the pilot's have sometimes been guilty of keeping their trousers on and just changing their shirts to go to the bar! They never have their hat's on on the flight deck!

"That you have to arrange for your transport even when away from your home base? Or let's say take a cab of your own?"
No - a limo or van is waiting at arrivals to take us to the hotel - i've never arranged my own transport!

I watched this movie while sitting on reserve at a commuter pad with a couple of other flight attendants and we were laughing from start to finish.....
One that was really funny (besides the fact that they were all sitting around a table in uniform waiting for the phone to ring) was that their commuter pad was in the heart of San Francisco and probably run at about 4K USD a month to rent! No commuter place would ever be that luxurious or affordable! My commuter place is 1 bedroom, right near the airport, and 10 of us share it!

Anyway, I definitely wouldn't have lasted this long working for a US airline if it was like that...! There is a lot of flexability in that we can drop trips, trade trips with the computer, pick up extra trips, and the travel benefits are very very good, but there are some things I don't like about working for US airlines, and things I MUCH prefer with some of the UK and Aust airlines.
kmp1