PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dyslexia ?
Thread: Dyslexia ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2006, 13:59
Impress to inflate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I went through OAT about ten years ago. I had/have dyslexia and struggled at school and found school more of a social life rather than academic. I never had any aspirations of UNI or Collage so went straight into the big wide world of work. In my mid twenties I came to a cross road in life and was given the opportunity to do my CPL(H) and jumped at the chance. I had not done any academic work for about eight years but with my background at sea working with hydraulics and gas compresses I found the techs relatively easy while Uni graduates struggled because they could not visualize the systems described. The navs I found a real challenge but found my own way of dealing with them and had a lot of support from fellow students on my course (thanks lads). The biggest incentive was wanting to learn rather than being forced. If secondary schools had teachers like OAT teaching subjects then I would probably have a couple of Higher grades (Scottish A levels) under my belt. I now have over 6000 hours under my belt and love my job, a childhood dream come true.