PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - upgrade failure rates / sacked while in trainig
Old 21st Nov 2006, 11:39
Five Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing the plot

Originally Posted by FlexibleResponse
We should remember that Command is a privilege that is earned.

It is not a right of passage to just any SFO/FO/SO.
Finally some truth ! Cathay will not give a command to every First Officer. Therefore should you be considering CX for a job you must weigh this against other carriers that would be happy to get you to command.

Command is not rocket science but does require a reasonable degree of intelligence. I can assure you that you wouldn’t be in your job if you didn’t possess this quality already. Therefore, it stands to reason that you are Commander material? Read on…
Wait a minute I thought you just said that Command is not assured ? Or was it not a "right of passage.." or are they the same....?

Most of all Command requires superior commonsense and judgement.
No kidding.....wow... you mean like using spell and grammar checks?

Note that every ERAS Check Form has items for your Check Captain to fill-in such as attitude and other personal qualities relating to Command potential. An FO could make it really easy for the Checker by personally addressing and enhancing each of those qualities that need to be assessed.
Hey there are a lot of candidates that have spotless training records and get the boot. This also does not explain the arbitrary nature of "Cat'Bing"

If an FO is having problems with his upgrade, it is highly likely to be some deficiency which will be highlighted by the ERAS system long, long, before...rather than something wrong with the training/checking system itself.
Yep so what about the ones who do not have a highlighted ERAS trail ? That get held back at the round table ?

In closing, allow me to say that nothing has given me greater pleasure in my aviation career than to take some poor lad with the right attitude on remedial Command training, fix his problems and pop him out the other end with four bars.
So what is wrong with passing the "Poor young little lad" (who probably is an Adult in his 40s) on his first try ? If he is having a problem during the first course FIX IT THEN if he or she is not ready give him the training he/she needs don't just dump him on the same fleet to continue doing relief.

See there are things we can do to improve the system. You just have to open your eyes look at what other carriers are doing and then look at us. Surely we can still learn a thing or two here at CX.

rant out !