PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - upgrade failure rates / sacked while in trainig
Old 21st Nov 2006, 10:53
FlexibleResponse

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We should remember that Command is a privilege that is earned.

It is not a right of passage to just any SFO/FO/SO.

Command is not rocket science but does require a reasonable degree of intelligence. I can assure you that you wouldn’t be in your job if you didn’t possess this quality already. Therefore, it stands to reason that you are Commander material? Read on…

Most of all Command requires superior commonsense and judgement.

Note that every ERAS Check Form has items for your Check Captain to fill-in such as attitude and other personal qualities relating to Command potential. An FO could make it really easy for the Checker by personally addressing and enhancing each of those qualities that need to be assessed.

If an FO is having problems with his upgrade, it is highly likely to be some deficiency which will be highlighted by the ERAS system long, long, before...rather than something wrong with the training/checking system itself.

The following messages are secret and only to be read by those pilots with the right attitude to aviation and truly aspire to be excellent Commanders. Preparation is the vital element. This is worth repeating.

Originally Posted by FlexibleResponse
CX wants to upgrade you.
If you are not ready, you will not be upgraded.
Talk to your line Captains and get some free advice on your strengths and weaknesses. This information will not normally be offered unless you ask.
Originally Posted by FlexibleResponse
It is very rare indeed for the physical manipulation of the jet to feature in the failure of pilots to be upgraded to Command (it is possibly a little more likely for other upgrades for early career JFO/FOs).
By far the greatest factor is plain old simple application of commonsense to the operation of the jet to accomplish the mission safely and efficiently.
For some people this is innate, for most people it is learnt and for other people it will never happen.
Get with the program, or if you do not truly understand the demands of aviation Command, do yourself and everyone else a favour and check-out early. Take that either way!

In closing, allow me to say that nothing has given me greater pleasure in my aviation career than to take some poor lad with the right attitude on remedial Command training, fix his problems and pop him out the other end with four bars.