PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bank into wind during strong cross wind takeoff
Old 21st Nov 2006, 10:10
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bungfai, (are you bribing a well-respected aviation organisation? )

On my fleet (777) the trainers tend to encourage a bit of into-wind aileron in crosswinds. Having observed and performed many x-wind takeoffs, I would say it's not a bad idea. You don't need much in the way of deflection - you're just trying to stop the upwind wing lifting dramatically on rotation: I suppose it's the difference between anticipating something or just reacting to what has happened. In the second case, people sometimes have a bit of a 'wobble', the severity of which depends of what they do with the rudder.

If you think about it, taking off in a jet with a big fin in a crosswind you have to apply a force to the airframe to counter the tendency to weathercock. At slow speeds most of this will come from nosewheel steering ("rudder fine") but close to and during rotation it has to be aerodynamic with the rudder biased to one side or the other. As the mainwheels leave the ground and the side reaction force from the tyres disappears, the aeroplane will start to move off the runway centreline. That can be countered by introducing a drift angle by gently reducing the rudder deflection to zero. The end result is being in balanced flight climbing out on the runway centreline... (well, sometimes!) In essence you are leaving the ground in a sideslip and uncrossing the controls as you climb away. The intial aileron deflection is bled away at the same time as the reduction in rudder.

Hope this helps!