PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R M Ansett
Thread: R M Ansett
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2006, 23:21
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiley

But I also know that 1989 would never have been allowed to sink into the bottomless pit it did if RM had still been at the helm of AN at the time, for too many of the senior pilots, (and quite a few of the junior ones as well), simply had too much respect for him to allow things to go as far as they did.
After watching last nights episode I am not so sure about your statement. He was ruthless, especially when it came to things like salaries. He demanded a lot but gave very little, for example the comments made by his former PA, I thought, were very enlightening. His reactions when anyone didn't agree with him was ruthless. Anyone remember his opposition to female flight crews? Anyone remember his comments about "Old Boilers" when the flight attendants wanted a pay rise?

I am also convinced that he was able to become as "powerful" as he did because he was in regulated industries. Initially he fought against them but ultimately benefited. During the "hay days" (sp?) of Ansett the airline industry was heavily regulated to protect the two principle players. Because of the two airline policy Australia delayed getting jets as TAA wanted to get the French Caravelle, RM didn't so we got the Electra instead as both airlines had to get the same equipment. Same prices, same timetable, same ports of call!

The television industry was the same, as well as being a licence to print money, in the early days. Gawd, the bleedin things were never off when it started.

I think time and the subsequent demise of Ansett has made memories somewhat fonder than the reality. When the company was taken off him it was in no real shape to cope with the deregulation that was starting to fundamentally change the industry. As such it could be said that his ruthless control of Ansett was one of the reasons for its ultimate failure.