PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preferred choice of engine.
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2006, 18:05
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gomer Pylot
Non-FADEC models can be somewhat exciting to start, but once they are running, they do well.
Gomer, is this just managing the TET or is there another aspect to starting the Arriel? I've only got a small amount of piston experience (not that i wouldn't consider going further if cash wasn't so tight at the mo).

Any chance of outlining the difference in op between piston and turbine? I've been told that turbines are more-or-less single control. Have you ever found the TET response limitation to be a problem once airborn?

Originally Posted by mini
Give the automotive boys another ten years with Rudolph's design and we can finally kiss goodbye to petrol as a heat engine fuel.
I left Longbridge (UK) when it became clear i was never going to get the engine design experience i wanted - i'm sure a lot of talented engineers felt the same . There are some lines of research which look extremely promising at overcoming the combustion delay inherent to compression ignition. Once this is achieved 4kW/kg may be achievable from a small high boost turbodiesel. I am reduced now to trying to fit in a design study between other activities.

For sale: One country, slightly downtrodden, by lack government support for long term investments (like education).

Mart