PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Morale in QANTAS
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2006, 17:43
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
The modern disease that has caused this type of mess in a lot of companies world wide is Narcissism.

No, it's not what you think, it's a condition where people are unable to empathise with anyone - they only see things from their own point of view. They are literally incapable of seeing anything from anothers point of view. They also have massive low self esteem issues and are therefore highly motivated to perform to win the approval of others.

Not all narcissists are actors and actresses, deeply insecure and running from marriage to marriage and drug to drug.

Some highly intelligent Narcissists work their arses off and get into senior management positions - and then do terrible things to the people who work for them because they simply don't care. They will lie cheat and steal to get what they want, trampling anyone and everyone in the process. I've been through this and it is most unpleasant.

The next time you read about a charismatic CEO or Managing Director who has cut their workforce and outsourced their business to bits, going though two or three marriages along the way, just remember you are probably looking at a Narcissist.

By the way this is a classic narcissistic quote:
she said "I don't see the need for morale therefore I don't see a problem"
The person who said this (assuming its true) is telling the truth as she sees it. She simply doesn't know what morale is because she is incapable of empathising with anyone else. You can't retrain these people either - they are "broken", there is nothing more pathetic than a senior manager handing round mars bars at a meeting because they have just been to "sensitivity" training where they were told to do this for "morale" purposes.

The delay in telling the people at Tulla of their fate is a classic narcissistic ploy to underline their total contempt for their staff and bolster their own sense of grandiosity. I would expect that Qantas would have nothing but narcissists in positions of power these days because no normal human being would stand for the game playing that is going on with their staff.

P.S. These people also have a massive sense of entitlement and believe laws are for little people. The managers of HIH and a certain Melbourne entertainment personality and former company director come to mind in this context.