PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barking numbers?
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2006, 07:46
Juud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barking numbers?

Boarding a wide-body jet takes time, and it's often stressful for the passengers. So when standing at the door, I make a big effort to be pleasant and welcoming to people. I try and get my happiest FA to stand there with me. We ask each passenger for their boarding card. All in an effort to tell people which aisle to take, check that they're on the correct flight, help the elderly and the disabled with their hand luggage, and accompany the terminally confused to their seats.

Having a word and a smile for 400+ pax is tiring but worth the effort in my mind. People visibly relax and it makes for a nicer atmosphere on board for everybody.
Last week I noticed a new trend though.
And immediately thought of this forum and how you guys might help to stem that ill tide.

Businessmen boarding, looking stressed or bored, answering my 'welcome aboard Sir' with a barked "43B" or whatever their seat number is.
This rather put me off my stride the first couple of times, but as it kept on, I started barking random numbers back at them.
Seemed to snap them out of their trance and produce a smile.

So a wee request to you frequent travelers: if you meet a rude/bored/obnoxious FA, by all means bark. But if somebody is at the door welcoming you and asking for your boarding card, please don't bark at the poor sod!