PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic Master thread volume 2
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2006, 03:04
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Riker
Understanding that most (if not all) aircraft deliveries in the near and medium term will be A340s, what is the possibility that 747-400 slots will open up to newhires when hiring resumes? Or, is it more likely that 400 FO slots will go to A340 FOs?
Cheers
Sounds like someone who is keep to fly the big Boeing. My advice is that you should go for the lifestyle rather that the aircraft. When it comes to the job, the 'bus has the better route structure. On the 744, you spend most of your time doing one nighters on the east coast of the USA (up to six a month which is totally kn@ckering - believe me) wheras, on the A340, you fly to more interesting places with more time off between. Not to mention you get the chance to get some kip in flight.

Also, if you're spending most of your time in the cruise, one long haul aeroplane is as boring as another. It's better not to have that enormous thing between your legs which is redundant for 99% of the flight taking up valuable eating/newspaper reading space.

I was on the 744 fleet. I took voluntary redundancy after 9/11 partly because I was fed up with the lifestyle. If I had been on the 340, I would have probably stayed.