PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety, incidents, etc
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2006, 14:52
geordi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ABird747
This 'no doors open' policy is one of my real bug bears... The number of times we've been sweating in the cabin as the APU's broken *again* and we can't open the doors because of the 'wrap you in cotton wool' hysteria that pervades the airline at times.

It just begs the question, how did we survive before? If you're really that stupid to fall out of a door, maybe you're too dumb to be let out of the house alone... Some of the things I see my colleagues doing leave me speechless, all people need to do is stop and THINK and half the stupid accidents won't happen.
I've recently come out of many years in an Aussie airline's Corp Safety - have to agree with my BA counterpart - the problem isn't that there haven't been previous accidents, or human error.... the thing is that there is legislation in the UK, Aus and NZ plus some other countries - the issue is "work at heights" and your cabin is a work environment.... so by all means, leave the door open with a strap across it, but be ready to explain to the regulators why you did so, and cough up lots of $$ as you walk out of your job! Also the airline will get fined, and if the regulator is really annoyed, can impose bans!

The message basically these days is - is an incident reasonably foreseeable, and a strap across a 3+ metre drop is a potential serious incident...

Also - have you tried to close D5 on 747 lately? Don't need to be dumb to fall out! It's actually amazing we haven't had more incidents!

Suggest its time we all started to think about Occupational safety and not just about service and Air safety.... also sometimes there's a reason for things, so try asking someone in your Safety Dept...