PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saudi Aramco - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 19th Nov 2006, 14:15
Geebz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, I feel for ya.

Having worked extensively in the Middle East, I know all too well what you've been through.

Pretty much the same everywhere in the desert. Some places better than others but otherwise a huge disregard for rules and respect towards expats... and ALWAYS late to pay.

And about the Saudi pilots. A lot of those guys are nightmares so no surprise there. There is a reason expats are always on the flight deck with them.

I finished up my final and my LAST M.E. contract in Dec. 2004. I will never go back to work there, have plenty of friends there though, would still visit. Decent people on a spiritual and social level but horrible in business.

A buddy of mine was recently offered a decent paying gig in Bahrain. When they asked him to pay his way there, with the promise of reimbursement upon arrival, he declined. They dug their heels in that he must pay, he decided to fid work elsewhere. This was your first M.E. gig so of course you expected to get paid on time and get expenses reimbursed promptly. Hopefully you learned your lesson.

I am reminded of an Indian pilot who was hired by my former Kuwaiti employer after I left. They asked him to pay for his Initial type rating, hotel bill during training, travel to USA (from India) for training and then to Kuwait from USA all on his tab with the promise of reimburing him upon arrival. My buds and I added it all up and he was over $60,000 in the hole. There's no telling how long it took to get his money back but I'm sure at least 3 months. You want to haev sympathy for the guy but it serves him right for being to gullible. Kind of like a Vegas gambleer who loses it all... you know, "what were you thinkin?"

When I go on contract, I work out all details and payment BEFORE I leave my home (Unless it's for Parc Aviation, they always pay). If the company I am flying for can't understand this... well at least I'm sitting in my home and not in some ****ty hotel praying I'll get my money. Live and learn, Gents.