PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 19th Nov 2006, 11:58
DEL Mode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike Smith/ORAC

Unfortunately the post has been removed (ORAC), however, I feel it is a prudent time to comment.

1. In the civil world, an airline has to prove to a regulator (CAA?) that it has sufficent funds to carry out its operations and perform necessary maintenance. If it does not then its air operators approval will be withdrawn (I stand by to be corrected).
2. If an airline has an incident or accident it is investigated (by the independent AAIB) to determine the probable cause, identify mitigation and ensure it does not occur again. This is how formal regulation works.

The RAF for years has been challenged to reduce costs. I am aware that operational requirements mean that the civil model is difficult to apply to the military environment.

Please tell me how the MoD ensures compliance with 1 and 2?

I am not a journo, know no journos, and do not have an opinion on journo's, but as a tax payer I am concerned that the Military are overstretched, under resourced, and constantly being challenged on cost. I welcome any journos who bring these issues to the focus of Joe Public. Rant Over.

Sorry to drag this post on, but I think it is necessary.