PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Common Strip Display
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2006, 07:48
throw a dyce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I saw an incident in Hong Kong caused by this problem.They use blue for inbounds,buff for outbounds (why? 10 bucks no idea ) and the strip system was similiar to CSD with the live traffic at the bottom.The controller was not used to this set up,but worked it anyway.
He had cleared a Dynasty for take off and lined up a second one behind.However at the last moment he changed his mind (single runway) but because the strips were the wrong way round,he told the a/c taking off to hold position.That's exactly what the a/c did,threw the anchor out and blew the dunlops.
I remember speaking to him about the strip setup and layout,and because the strips were the wrong colour,I just could not change the program in my brain.The only thing that saved me was the old fashioned current strip system.I just couldn't get the strip order and colour changes at the same time.So the strip system won.
This incident should be a heads up to that when you get under pressure,you revert to Mark1 system.That system is very robust,even when the strip are the wrong colour,but confusing the display is very dangerous.
Ps you could always use the i-pod when your sitting in prison,having wiped 2 out on the runway.

Last edited by throw a dyce; 19th Nov 2006 at 08:01. Reason: typos