PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GB Airways - Time to Captain
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2006, 07:38
Major Cleve Saville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are considering a 'career' with GB you shoud bear the following in mind:

It was once a proftable airline: Not any more.
It did well out of the BA Franchise: Not any more. Those once profitable routes now have intense low cost competition. And the BA franchise means GB are hamstrung when it comes to selecting new destinations. If it looks profitable BA will do it themselves.
The average sector length was 2 1/2 hours: Not any more.We are flying longer and further for less revenue.
Pay is the average of comparable airline, note Average but the working conditions were considerably better: Not any more.
Until 2 1/2 years ago there was at least some effort to treat people as human: Not any more, the worst aspects of comparable airlines lifestyles are now inflicted on the staff the rationale being this is what airline XYZ does so you have to do the same.

There is no chance of rostering/lifestyle issues improving in the near future as there has been a deliberate policy of deterioration in lifestyle over the last few years parralleling the deterioration in the companies financial position.

The flight ops managers are just looking after themselves now waiting for the inevitable. I have seen this scenario at several previous airlines just prior to the insolvencies.

It is difficult to see how this position can be reversed. The BA franchise is killing GB yet neither the owners or any of the ex-BA lackeys that have inflicted the damage have had the cojones to go it alone once again as GB or Gibraltar Airways. I suspect the new(ish) MD would like to but is told that the future is with the BA Franchise. In any case it is probably too late as easyJet would simply dump low fares on to any routes GB might try to compete on.

I would not consider a career here now. If you wish to have a career and start to acrue seniority definately look elsewhere. I know I am and I have been here a long time.