PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The new way to fly an ab initio trainer
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2006, 04:36
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yet another case, possibly, of not flying the aircraft you're in appropriately.

Airliner style approaches are appropriate in airliners because they cannot do a steeper approach and they have more than adequate performance/system monitoring in any power loss, windshear, wake turbulence, system malfunction scenario to continue the approach or go around.

Do the same style of approach in a typical GA single or twin and if you lose power on approach you very well may not make the airport.

How much excess performance does a 200 series cessna have to overcome windshear? How about getting caught up in wake vortices from a bigger preceeding aircraft?

Another aspect of the approach and landing is that in a retractable GA single or twin you may get no audio warning of a possible gear problem until you reduce power below 15 in MP. If you make a steeper approach, reduce power to idle at 30-50 for the round out flare etc you will get more warning than a powered flat approach...personally I would rather have the gear warning go off at 40' than 4'. Yes I know the lack of green light should give it away too but why line up the last hole in the cheese for no good reason.

The number of times you don't end up with approach guidance even in a widebody more than justifies the developement of visual judgement in my opinion...the budding airline pilot will get plenty of opportunities later to perfect 'ILS' style approaches