PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Partnavia crash at Rottnest Island
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2006, 02:35
Barry Bernoulli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
youngmic,

I wish I owned a Baron, I only own a POH for the Baron.

My reason for advising 5 degrees, in the absence of POH advice to the contrary, is that Vmca, or directional control, is the first concern that must be overcome with an EFATO. Back to the POH; 'The most important aspect of engine failure is the necessity to maintain lateral and directional control.'

Although Vmca as published is generally below lift-off speed, that is for a pre-determined set of conditions including up to 5 degrees angle of bank towards the live engine. If sufficient AOB is not established sideslip will develop. As the sideslip develops, the angle of incidence of the airflow over the vertical stablisier decreases, decreasing the rudder effectiveness. Therefore, having insufficient bank towards the live engine can increase the conditional Vmca significantly. Whereas the static Vmca for the conditions encountered with wings level can be around 15kts above the certified figure, a proficient pilot can notice it approaching and take corrective action (but you want to be apoproaching it from above, not looking at it from below the required speed). In the EFATO case, however, the dynamic Vmca can be higher again due to yawing and rolling moments (Vmca, although usually rudder limited can be aileron limited as well).

In an EFATO the priorities are to maintain control, including directional control, maximise available power and reduce drag to allow the aircraft to accelerate to single engine climb speed. If you've done your homework you wil be using the TODA, possibly in ground effect, and any additional obstacle clear areas to do this. So in the event of an EFATO at lift-off you select an appropriate attitude to acclerate the aircraft, including 5 degrees angle of bank towards the live engine because you know that is sufficient to maintain directional control. You check max power on the live and then get rid of excess drag (feather prop, gear and flap up) as per the POH procedure. Once you've got those initial actions out of the way, have a good margin above Vmca and you have time to look out the front, then you can start thinking about obstacle clearance issues, including rolling off the bank angle to maximise climb performance. You will probably find that by the time you attain single engine climb speed you can come back to wings level and accept the decreased rudder effectiveness brought about by the sideslip. You will be slightly out of balance but will be getting even better climb performance that with your 1 to 3 degrees AOB. Once obstable clearance is sorted, then, IAW the POH procedure, you clean up the mess and think about getting back on the ground.

Although the most important thing is to look out the window (assuming you have visual reference), you need to check the skidball early to make sure you are in the ballpark. If you've had a right engine failure and your skidball is still out to the right, you will shortly be landing on your roof in a very ungraceful manner. You get the skidball to the side you need it to maintain directional control by a combination of rudder (all of it) ad AOB. If you put all the rudder in and the skidball is still on the wrong side, you need to increase the AOB towards the live. If that doesn't work, you need to increase airspeed, reduce the drag on the dead or pull some power off the live.

The main difference between what I'm saying and what you're saying is that I am emphasising that directional control is by far the most important factor in an EFATO and obstacle/terrain clearance comes thereafter as per the POH advice. You don't need the accident investigators to be impressed that you made it to 100ft before you rolled on your back and speared in. To quote Chuckles in his previous post:

I would go as far as to say that if you arrive under control virtually anything is survivable...water is a piece of piss. It is just a mindset.