PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2006, 02:04
The Dominican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Interview experience was really good. They positive spaced me to TYO and the PARC representative that lives in TYO was very helpful, polite and informative. A six person panel (4 ANA Check Airmen and 2 HR) formed the panel. They where engaging and receptive to what I was saying, make sure that you speak clearly and that you make your point across because English evidently is not their first language. But, also by speaking slowly and clearly it is easier for them to detect "Canned" answers, so you know what? Don't use them. Talk about yourself, that is what they want to hear. They want to know if you are adaptable enough to rise above language and culture differences and act as a team member. In my case, there where very little technical questions,I guess they felt there wasn't the need for it, I hear that some folks get asked a bid of technical stuff but it wasn't my case.
The SIM will make it or break it for you. You have to fly the thing not like somebody that has flown 767s evidently, but like somebody who has the time and command structured personality that your resume says you should have. They want to see your interaction with an F/O that has limited English, they want to see how you are going to react in an environment that is foreign to you (The 767 cockpit that is) And still operate the exercises that are required. They don't want to see perfection, evidently you won't fly the thing perfectly in the first couple of T/O and LAN. But they want to see progression towards the end of the evaluation, they want to see what you do if you punch the wrong button and the thing started turning the wrong way (I disconnected the A/P and asked my F/O/ Check airman to show me what I engaged that was wrong, but at the same time steering the thing in the right direction)
After all, you are applying for a direct entry level position as a 767 captain, to fly across Asia and the Pacific. These individuals have being flying and instructing for a long time. They pretty much know from the moment when you enter the Flight Deck if there is command capability or not.

I was called that evening to let me know that I had passed the evaluation and interview phase so I'm going to the medical next. It will be in LAX and I'm curious as to what it involves. They told me to separate two complete days for the testing. Anyone has first hand knowledge on the medical? What to expect? This has me a little worried because I already did the part that I have control over. This part of the evaluation I don't control.
Any info on regards to LAX medical facility and what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck to all trying out for this Job, I felt that It was very straight forward and informative. They made it very clear that the rosters where tough and that at the beginning there was going to be a transitional period as more A/C's where coming into the line and gave me the choice to apply for AJX if I wanted to because it is more like what I'm used to at my current gig. I know that there have being some opinions expressed here about them not being forthcoming, but I can only judge from my own experience and they where very clear about what the job is about and had no problems answering all of my questions.

Thank you for any info on the medical.