PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Partnavia crash at Rottnest Island
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2006, 23:25
youngmic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day BB,

Sadly the often quoted referance we see in this forum of "consult the POH often leaves the pilot none the wiser. You are indeed fortunate to own a Beechcraft, which have very good reference material.

Both the twins I fly are completely silent on the subject, and one is a turboprop.

I agree with most you have written in the previous thread, you obviously have a solid understandering of the subject matter.

As you correctly stated 5 degrees is a certification requirement. And you aknowledge the fact that it may not be the optimum AoB. At this point I would have been reluctant to then advise readers that a target AoB of 5 degrees is a good target to aim for. Given that in a low powered twin the real number would be 1 to 1.5 degrees (sorry about the decimal point it's the way the maths goes) and anything above that angle waves good bye 30'/min/degree. You may well have advised readers to put the aircraft in a configuration that results in a rate of decent. Hardly good.

Whilst I can not verify factually your comment about 1/2 to one ball out being an appropriate target, it does sound rather excessive, I would have thought a smidge might be more appropriate.
Why twins don't have a yaw string I will never know, if they did you could solve the zero sideslip issue instantly, intuitively and all while looking out the windscreen. Where precision counts you'll find them i.e. gliders.

I personally would not be bothering with refering to the slip/skid ball until I am really well clear of terrain, I bet that if I looked at it low down or early in the event all I would learn is that yes turbulance makes it slop side to side and my course intial rudder imputs whilst trying to peg an attitude and counter asymmetry make it worse.

These low and decimal point AoB figures refered to concern me, but thats the physics of it, i know that I for one would have a snow flakes chance in hell of being able to identify the correct angle. Suffice to say that if you can discern much of an AoB it is probably already to much.

Guess the answer is to spend as little time as possible in low performance twins, and have a good engine mechanic.

Regards
M