PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a wannabe career instructor
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2006, 21:14
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things certainly seem to be pointing towards some sort of instructor shortage over the next year. Airlines are snapping up instructors with 1000+ hours just lately and many schools need instructors yesterday. As for a salary - you might be lucky enough to strike a deal in that respect but I certainly wouldn't expect more than £14K basic. Most schools either pay by the hour and/or a retainer of around £200 per month.

It is not easy to earn a living out of flying instructing, expecially if you have large training costs to pay back, hence the reason many look to move onto better paid flying jobs after a while. Unless you have another income or substantial savings then you'll very soon become rather despondant regarding instructing - that's my personal hunch but hey - I don't know you.... but I do know many instructors and well, I'd be lying if I said they all adored it!

At PPL stage everything is still huge fun and a massive novelty but when you get past the 300+ hours stage then it all becomes pretty much the norm and the trick is to constantly pinch yourself so as not to take your paid flying for granted.

At least, that's what I've found anyway.

VFE.