PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solentflight - Lee on Solent
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2006, 15:26
Sky Wave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At last, we are getting some information.

Yes, but then some of them backtrack when not allowed and also crash in to the new fences!
Was this at Lee on Solent? I have to say having taxied next to that fence it was bound to happen. I suspect the only reason it hadn't happened previously was because they didn't have the amount of new PPL's using the taxyway. Are they allowed to send students solo from Lee on Solent? If they are then that increases the risk even more.

As far as backtracking goes most Solent Flight pilots renting aircraft would have done 95% of their flying from Southampton where ATC will tell them exactly what to do. They would have more than likely flown to airfields with at least an Air to Ground Radio operator who would also help out. Changing from that to an uncontrolled airfield where you self announce is a bit of a culture shock. Mistakes like these will happen with inexperienced pilots but the problems will reduce as people become more familiar with the procedures and as a new bread of pilots, trained solely at Lee-on-Solent start to rent Solent’s aircraft.

Just my opinion

SW

Last edited by Sky Wave; 17th Nov 2006 at 20:24.