PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a wannabe career instructor
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2006, 12:29
looptheloop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fellow wannabe

I too am in your position. I gave up a 10 year teaching career to pursue my dream of becoming a pilot (at the age of 35). I have my FAA PPL and Instrument Rating and my JAA PPL too ( i have dual citizenship- US and UK). I have no interest in flying for the airlines as my passion is for vintage aircraft and the grass roots level of aviation. I am trying to find out how i can study for my CPL exams without going down the ATPL route but am given conflicting information regarding the best way forward. My aim is to combine my flying with my teaching experience to instruct but i realise the pay for this career path is poor- it seems we would be in the minority as instructors who wish to make a career out of it rather than as a stepping stone to the airlines.
I have done a lot of research by talking to many instructors and students taking their CPL and Bristol comes out as the best ground school by far with great instructors and good pass rates. My next step is to talk to them in depth about where my next step should be. I have to admit to dreading the studying needed to move on but being enthusiastic about what the future may hold. I am looking for some form of employment whilst studying but this time of year seems to be the wrong time to find work in general aviation.
I will read your replies with a great deal of interest. Good Luck in your career. Louise