PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Partnavia crash at Rottnest Island
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2006, 03:36
Barry Bernoulli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuckles,

Thanks for debunking the myth about light twin single engine performance. I have limited experience on light piston twins and less on piston singles (happily). I have endorsements on the Dutchess, Baron and Partnavia and, despite being told endlessly that they would not fly well on one engine, found them to be quite docile in the EFATO situation. Certainly, in comparison to a double EFATO in the Herc (which isn't done any more, for good reason) the light twins I have flown require less draconian recovery action, less physical effort and perform OK.

I am always worried, if not terrified, when I go to do a twin endorsement because I am not inspired by the blurring of myth and fact in many areas of GA. When doing the Partnavia endorsement over Phillip Island, the instructor wanted me to slow to Vmca when it was only about two knots away from the stall speed. That scared me and I refused to do it, suggesting that we should instead simulate the Vmca symtoms by limiting rudder input to give us a margin above the stall. When doing the Baron endorsement the instructor insisted that I did not input aileron to maintain wings level when approaching Vmca. That left us rolling and yawing close to the stall and guess what; we entered a spiral dive. The instructor was actually more scared than me becuase I was at least half expecting it.

On another occasion I wrote the flap system up as unserviceable on a Baron that I had private hired. When it wasn't fixed on the third occasion I complained and was told by a commercial pilot operating in that company that the system was supposed to operate in that manner. A quick check of the POH revealed that it wasn't at all.

I am concerned that some junior pilots are far too willing to accept the advice of the 'more experienced' pilots in their fields without researching the veracity of that information. In some instances the 'more experienced' operators are free from the checks and balances that would require them to validate their own opinions and they become self verifying.

Back to the topic though, I see the media report refers to mechanical failure but doesn't mention engines. Also, there is no mention in the report of witnesses hearing unusual engine noises (something that almost always seems to make the reports). The reason I ask is that I remember being told of a design fault in the Partnavia where the elevator torque tube was clamped to the actuator but not pinned. That could lead to the torque tube slipping and a resultant loss of elevator authority. Does anyone know if that fault actually existed and if it was subject to a required modification?