PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From a Boeing to an Airbus - Pilot Point of View
Old 17th Nov 2006, 00:56
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I did the swap over a year ago. It's different.

My advice:

Airbus publish their golden rules. One is 'The aircraft flys like any other'. Don't forget this. The level of automation is high and it's easy to sit there and think what can I do do correct this situation through the box when all you have to do it take out the automatics and fly it yourself.

Fly it yourself as much as you can. It's natural to use the automatics but this will erode your flying skills. My company has just bought some glass Boeings and a couple of convertees have failed because thay let their flying skills lapse after 10 years on the bus.

The progression for ECAM drills are OEBs - ECAM - QRH - FCOM3. Don't forget that some ECAM drills will be superceeded by OEBs. And with the ECAM drills, if you don't have some knowledge of the system and what it is you are trying to acheive with the drill, you could create problems for yourself. The ECAM is supposed to make life easier but as in anything in life, you can make even easier with a bit of study.

Use TRACK/FPA for non precision approaches and manual flying. It's brilliant!

Don't listen to the Boeing diehards who trash the bus without knowing what they're talking about. I came to the bus with an open mind and I was pleasantly suprised. The automatics are superior (certainly from the Boeing I used to fly which constantly made you aware that it was a classic jet with the glass grafted on top), it's a very pleasant and easy working environment - and that table. It's fantastic!