PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Partnavia crash at Rottnest Island
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2006, 00:21
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flywatcher thanks for picking that up...you're correct. I was posting tired and didn't proof read it well enough before hitting submit..I went to bed instead.

As another example of what aeroplanes will do as opposed to what legend would have you believe I once had an engine failure in an Aerostar..again like the C402 and 404 mentioned previously I was heavy.

The failing engine was accompanied by an engine fire warning as the MP fell away to a near useless level...a little above the zero thrust figure I used in training.

I kept everything firewalled, raised the 'dead' engine a bit and kept the ball centered (actually a smidge out with the raised engine) and watched the left engine cowl for signs of fire...there were none..no bubbling paint or ****e exiting behind...so I kept it running..it wasn't doing me much good but it was certainly doing a little. Despite being very heavy the aeroplane had climb performance and I made circuit height reasonably quickly before turning downwind, securing the engine and landing....It was never on fire but part of the failure was the exhaust manifold falling off the engine and blowing hot exhaust fumes on the fire probe.

The Deathstar has a well deserved reputation for being a demanding aeroplane to fly...but it also has just about the best SE performance of any piston twin...flown well. I would rather have an engine failure on takeoff in a Aerostar than any other piston twin.

I endorse completely what Centaurus says about checking stuff and writing it up if required. The Islander had a main fuel system near identical to the PN68 with selectors in the ceiling and some had tip tanks...although obviously better designed than the PN68 because I never saw one stick...it did happen occassionally though...it was part of the first flight of the day ritual to exercise and test the entire system (on every piston twin I ever flew). If you have an engine fire that you cannot put out the wing spar can burn through on most piston twins in less time than it can take to climb up to 500' on one engine.

To test the shut off turn the fuel off after the last flight of the day, every day, and after it dies pull the mixture to idle cut off. Leave it off...if the next joker (you with a hangover? )doesn't do his cockpit set up correctly he won't be able to start it. If you find you can't shut the engine down with the fuel cock you just might be saving the next pilots life..and those of his pax....if you write it up on the MR.

PS: 17 yr old boys are just a life support system for an erection

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 17th Nov 2006 at 01:49.