PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Partnavia crash at Rottnest Island
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2006, 00:17
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuckles and Centaurus

Classic PPRuNe.

Flying ME piston is VERY serious business...there is just no room for BS.
they are NOT designed NOR required by certification to demonstrate more than a +ve rate of climb (defined as +50fpm) with an engine feathered and cleaned up. Actually waaaay more serious than in a Transport Category aircraft.

Under certain conditions of weight temp etc, some MAY do a bit or even a lot better but it is NOT "gauranteed" as it is in Transport Category aircraft.

Chuckles talks about "mind set" = when it does happen = you are in fairly deep do do = read both his last posts and throw out of your head any other form of voodoo crap or witchcraft you may have been taught or at the very least rethink it.

The statistics are brimfull of the dead dudes who imagined they knew better.

I watched the entire sequence of what most would think was a fairly powerful twin EFATO to its fatal conclusion, whilst I was physically and mentally trying to will the pilot NOT to attempt what was clearly going to take him to his death. He was a dead man the moment he started the turn to return at around 200ft. And most would have considered him very experienced.

As an aside I came to PPRuNe as a result of reading a post about a C421C accident in Glasgow that took out the two crew and the deadheading flight crew and FA's, many many moons ago. The resulting somewhat heated discussion revealed the dearth of knowledge on this subject at the same time as changing the crew deadheading policies of a number of the major UK airlines.

Last edited by gaunty; 17th Nov 2006 at 00:20. Reason: add a bit