PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic Master thread volume 2
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2006, 12:46
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I can't. I assume that all pilots currently in the hold pool will remain there, but I would imagine that being in the hold pool does not imply any commitment on Virgin's behalf to offering you a job. I'm not trying to scaremonger, simply pointing out the fact that until you have a job offer in writing - and sometimes not even then - nothing is guaranteed by any company.

Recruiting policies change in any industry, and this one is more volatile than just about any other. What was a firm plan yesterday is just so much hot air today. A few weeks ago, the Flight Ops department at Virgin was expecting 6 A380s to turn up from 2009 (originally 2007), for another 8 or so A346s to arrive before then and possibly for some twins of some variety to arrive in the same timescale. Recruiting and training plans were made to try and accommodate what they thought the likely fleet structure would be. Then the airline's board announces that the last A346 deliveries would be slipped (though exactly what the new delivery schedule is, no-one seems to be sure), the A380 deferred to 2013, and the rumoured A330 buy is off the table. All of a sudden, the Flight Ops dept has to accommodate the 'new reality' - none of which is communicated to them in advance.

So, recruiting is on hold. Once they have a clearer picture of the manning requirements for the near-ish future, they'll decide when to reopen the taps. What that means for those of you in the hold pool, I can't say - for that you'll have to contact the company. I am not privy to the training or manning plans; I simply try to give you the story from the inside point of view in order to stop inaccurate rumours getting out of hand. Of course, anyone with a close eye on the world's aircraft markets and route developments could do the same - even from outside the company! So, get your ears to the ground and listen out for further developments. ATI, Flight International, and Pprune are all good sources of the kind of information which can help you assess what your chances of a job - in any company - are, along with the company's own recruiting website. In Virgin's case, check the recruiting page at least once a month. If you're in the pool and you've heard nothing for a good while, you should already have the appropriate contact details - use them.

Good luck to all!