PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final approach speeds
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2006, 10:43
30W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any typical Heathrow types other than the B757 that would have difficulty with 170kts to 5?
I'm not a LL operator, but have flown the 757 for the last 18 years, and currently a Training Capt on type. Be clear, there IS no difficulty flying a 757 at 170 to 5. It is more environmentally friendly than 160 on most occasions as one can fly down the slope at average weights, wind dependent, at 170kt in a F5 config and idle thrust. 160kt normally requires use of F15, and in many cases then some thrust to maintain it, hence more noise.

It is ONLY BA SOP's which seem to create this problem - other operators do not suffer the same fate. I suggest it's more a problem to be sorted with BA, than an industry wide issue.

To others who are quite honestly putting hands up here and saying they don't conform and slow prior to 4d. I don't believe anyone here is questioning your right as a commander of an aeroplane to slow up early. However, to accept a 'contract' with ATC that you have no intention of complying with is WRONG. When you read back the speed control, you have ACCEPTED that contract. You must conform with it - or advise ATC that you will not be doing so. 120.4 and colleagues will comply with your requests speeding wise (given suitable notice!). They won't force something of you that you are unwilling to do, but can't second guess your non-compliance if you accept their speed instruction.

For all LL pilots on this thread who have never been to West Drayton, get your butts there before they depart for warmer climates on the Southampton coastline and spend a shift on LL. You will be warmly received, you will (I feel sure), be impressed at the professioanlism, proficiency, accuracy and efficiency they achieve. When you see continual streams of traffic travelling down the ILS at exactly the required spacing intervals, you will understand the issue that this subject is causing them.

May it all be suitably resolved!

30W

Last edited by 30W; 16th Nov 2006 at 13:43.