PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe to acquire BA Connect (Crew thread - no spotters)
Old 16th Nov 2006, 04:23
WhoopWhoop Whoops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BACON FLYBE seniority merger

I notice there is a lot of talk about seniority effects in the merger/takeover.
I have some contact with high flyer industrial lawyers in the uk. The general view is that airline seniority lists are not lawful due to the new anti age descrimination laws which came into effect in October. The view is that it is a form of indirect age descrimination and is bound to be declared illegal when the first case comes to an IR tribunal. Similar test cases have been set in Eire (not aviation ones) where the EU law was enacted earlier than the UK. You can pay more to reward length of service but you cannot deny a job position on length of service. To do so would be considered denying one age group younger or older from an opportunity. It looks as if in the future all Captain positions will have to be done by interview like any other job taking into account experience, ratings, suitability, etc. Everybody with the necessary qualifications would have to be given an opportunity to apply for the captain position. A bidline system for trips might be OK as it might be considered a length of service benefit, but not the actual job promotion proccess. The airlines are aware of this apparently, they are just waiting for the first move by an employee. Balpa I feel is hoping it will go away. When somebody from Bacon or flybe feels agrieved we may see the first case in an IR court in the UK. If these lawyers are correct in their forecast, the changes to the pilot promotion world in the EU will be immense.

Last edited by WhoopWhoop Whoops; 16th Nov 2006 at 04:44.