View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2001, 02:23
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Taildragger 67
...and others who are so inclined.

Astute observation mate.
Most people flying for the airlines today haven't learnt from the past, have they? What's important to ones airline isn't who has the right to be working there and how much he/she is to be paid for doing so...
it's the return on investment for the shareholder and the profit made resulting in dividends. Full stop. Basic economics, isn't it? Well, for some at least.
The rubbish cast over 'wet leasing' and other situations which place ones employment in peril are certainly understandable. If I, for one, could wave a magic wand and have everything at Ansett (and at other fine airlines like Pan AM, Eastern, the lot) I'd return them to their former selves, I'd be delighted to do so as would many others in this great profession. However, none of us has that ability and I'm afraid as regretable as it is...Ansett is bust.
If Qantas we're noble enough to 'wet lease' from Ansett it would seem unlikely as the creditors likely have all assets firmly in hand and intend not to incur further debt.
I wish everyone at Ansett the very best and for what it's worth, others are about to follow.