PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada flying for Qantas
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2001, 07:53
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Good gawd. Here we go again.
More whinging from down under.

It seems to me that Ansett, through it's leasing division, not so many months ago were not only recruiting pilots (both foreign and national) but wet leasing the lot out to 'foreign' carriers. For some reason...would that not be the same thing as wet leasing from Air Canada, only in the reverse???

Don't look for sympathy here, mate.
Ever try to get a job in the south pacific???
Why is it that only Australian and New Zealand licences are acceptable???
I think you guys have your markets covered. Wouldn't you?
As for Air Canada's wet leases downunder...
Ansett can do squat with the liquidators hovering over their assets right now. Qantas AND Ansett aren't going to get the use of or access to 'short term leases' (3 months. too expensive.) in the present economic reality. Not just in Oz, but the world.
The cheapest and most cost effective way for Air New Zealand, Qantas, Ansett, or any other carrier down there for that matter, to get the present capacity problem solved (don't airlines also try to meet customer demand at some point??? Especially when the dollars have practically stopped flowing in) is to Wet Lease as a cost effective way to stave off a visit from the Grim Reaper?
This is basic economics when you've been in the airline industry for a fews years.
We gotta eat to. If I gotta fly to feed the family and keep my job, I fly the trips I'm offered every month and hope we don't go bust in the process.
For those who have lost their jobs I am truly sorry and wish them well. But, the reality is, Canadian pilots aren't taking your jobs.
Grow up!!!