PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA IR Courses (including Converting FAA IR to JAA IR (Merged)
Old 15th Nov 2006, 18:20
madman1145

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem in posting here, no secrets, and the fewer PM's I have to write ..

How often did you fly, once a day or more?
- Like once a day (workingdays), sometimes in the weekend as well. A few times done sim and flying on the same day. But planning is very much up to you and your capacity, if you feel you can manage more, tell them - the FTO is flexible ..

How long was the groundschool?
- Not much groundschool. I suppose you have done your IR or ATPL theory. But a total of about 5-6 hours groundschool, going through Doc 8168, the Danish BL 5-60 and Jeppesen Airway Manual. Of course there is briefing and debriefing after each flight (heli and sim) ..
There is incl. a selfstudy CBT course that you take online. That's for the TypeRating groundschool for the Longranger ..
The FTO has for what I have seen, had Danish, Norwegian and Dutch students through the course, so they do speak English. I know some English dudes are signed up - believe next available space is in like May or so ..

Did you finish in 4-6 weeks?
- Pretty much, started sim on the 9th of October. Exam done on Friday (knock-on-woods). I have done the shortened course due to my FAA IR. I spend some days in Aberdeen for testing, so subtract that and you get around 4-5 weeks with no rush. One has done the full course in 4 weeks, but do expect 6 weeks for the full course. A few students have required more than the min. hours but mostly people manage to graduate with min. hours ..

How was the equipment, Bell 206L and the sim?
- The Longranger: It's about 20 years old, but it doesn't show. Looks nice inside and repainted in school colors 1-2 years ago. It's well loaded with equipment. Everything works but sometimes the autopilot fails on like ALT so you have to reset it one way or the other and it usually helps. When me and my fellow student has finished it goes in for maintenance, among normal check also to fix this issue. It just makes you more alert of not trusting the autopilot too much. Forcetrim works splended, makes it a dream to fly compared to small pistons. No annoying vibrations in the aircraft, smooth ride. Has Garmin 430, Standard King as secondary NAVCOM, radio altimeter, AirCon etc. etc. ..
We can on these non-hot days fly fully tanked and 4 people onboard, but that's the limit and only with either heater or engine-deice system on, not both fully loaded. You fly with the instructor and your fellow student to change crew on destination when practising on other nearby airports to decrease enroute time and spend more time on approaches. And if another student wants to follow what happens onboard, he/she can come along, on your approval of course. With this occasionally limiting setup you get to monitor the TOT more often ..
You fly ILS by hand and NDB's sometimes on auto, sometimes by hand. You will also go the Stauning that has probably the, cockpitwise, bussiest NDB approach's in Denmark ..
When you come with FAA IR, they will focus on NDB approaches because that is most peoples problem from "over-there" ..
- The sim: It's an airplane FNPT I simulator of newer generation. French product I believe. It's just fine for learning procedures. You usually keep a few hours in spare so if you screw too much up in the Longranger like having problems with NDB's, you can go in the sim again and train the procedures at a lot lower cost than in the air ..

Did you find the FTO and the instructors ok?
- Oh yes. Done my PPL's, CPL and ATPL-H theory there and have a good feeling of the FTO (Been through 3 different FTO's). You fly with one of two instructors on the Longranger. One is the owner of the school, he is rated on many things an engine can get airborn. The other is a 737 Captain, who previously have flown different jobs on Hughes and Robbies, Bell's (3 different types) and S61 on Greenland. Nice fellows, both old farts who know what they are talking about. Everything at the school is very much down-to-earth. No one feels or show they are better than others ..

Did it end up costing more than estimated?
- Looks like to the penny ..

Was it difficult to find accommodation?
- I don't know, I lived at my dad's place during this. But I know that there is a local place where you can rent a room on weekly and/or monthly basis. Those who have come from other parts of the world than local have been able to find a local place with no problems. Bring a car or buy a cheap bicycle, both will do for getting back and forward to school ..

This is the toy you will play with: http://www.madman.dk/gallery/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=644

- madman

Cockpit of the Longranger ..

Last edited by madman1145; 15th Nov 2006 at 21:42. Reason: Gramma and layout plus insert of picture ..