PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air or Aer Lingus/Emirates First Class to Sydney Opinion
Old 15th Nov 2006, 17:14
Flip Flop Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TLG

I flew on GF LHR-BAH 4 days ago in First. You will not be disappointed. Whilst I personally couldn't care less for limo pick-ups, the seats onboard and the service provided was the best I have ever experienced. You do have to be careful, however, as the new First seats are not rolled out throughout the fleet. The only type where you're guaranteed the new seat is on the A330. Seating is only 4 across, and there's only 8 seats in total in First. You'll be served by a crew of 2.5 (FA and the Chef + the CSD will check on you ever so often). The old seat was 6 across, and whilst it did recline to almost-flat, well, it's not of the pod type and and therefore not up to current standards. Not a bad seat, not by a long shot, just not up there with the best. The new First seats, however, are.

I'm flying back to FRA in a few hours, supposedly on an A340 which may have the old seats.

I've tried EK in Business, and was honestly not impressed by the seat. Service was fine, but very impersonal and delivered in a very robotic fashion by what looked like crew who didn't really give a toss. Sure, they smiled nicely, but there was no warmth. Perhaps they had a collective day off, who knows.

I've flown GF several times in both Business and First. The service is of a consistenly high standard, with my latest experience on GF2 the pinnacle. Very fine food was offered too, prepared by the onboard chef (I kid you not).

Only downside is a slightly antiquated IFE system, so bring your lappy and a few DVDs if you wish to be able to stop/start/pause/wind at your leisure. But if I have the choice between and all singin and dancing IFE and the finest level of service available, then I'm going for the service.

So, for me it would be GF.