PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 15th Nov 2006, 09:17
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know if I am raising false hope here, but just received this intriguing answer from Ingram.

Hercules Aircraft

Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will make it his policy not to use Hercules aircraft which have not been fitted with (a) the latest generation defensive aids suite and (b) foam in the wing tanks in (i) Iraq and (ii) Afghanistan; and if he will make a statement. [57160]

Mr. Ingram: The Ministry of Defence policy is to offer our aircraft, crews and passengers a level of protection commensurate with the risk of the operational tasking. For aircraft, this involves a mix of threat mitigation measures, which can include defensive aids. It is, nevertheless, an inescapable fact that operational flying can never be a risk free activity.

With respect to Hercules aircraft, or indeed any other aircraft, I am not prepared to disclose specific details of defensive aid fitment as this might prejudice the operational security of our armed forces.

I announced on 18 April this year that we will be fitting some of our Hercules aircraft with explosion suppressant foam. I can now say that two aircraft have been fitted with explosion suppressant foam, and the programme continues as planned to fit the remaining aircraft.

It is the usual guff, but the very last sentence refers to fitting foam to the remaining aircraft. Not sure if he means the remaining aircraft on the program or the whole fleet. There have been no announcements to suggest that the whole fleet will get foam but an awful lot of pressure has been applied. Not from James Gray it has to be said...

I will make some enquiries and try and clarify the situation.