PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Socata TB 10: is this a good Club tourer?
Old 15th Nov 2006, 03:31
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
We have one down here at YMMB. It's a bit of an orphan, so I got an endorsement on it to widen my range of options.

1. Its French. Expect Frenchified ways of doing things unless they are vastly improved on the one I have access to. Ie:

a) Circuit breakers used as switches.
b) Cryptic trim indicator
c) Tiny unreliable ribbon gauges for engine function that are impossible to read. (hopefully these are replaced)
d) Nice leather seats
e) The weight and balance information in the POH is impossible to understand. We had to translate to "Piperese"
f) Funny switch positions.

2. The roof leaks - right on the pocket where the POH sits. The gull wing doors are sexy but the seals need to be good otherwise you will get wet when it rains.

3. The sexy flush fuel caps leak if the seals aren't perfect, unlike the ugly "Top Hat" Piper and Cessna types. If you leave one out in the rain ferchrissake drain both tanks again.

4. The doors cannot be opened in flight, nor should you try taxiing with them unlocked. Ours is sitting waiting for a new pilots door because it unlatched on the ground and is seriously and totally bent - about $11,000 I think. If it happens in flight you will lose the door, and may or may not succeed in returning the aircraft to the ground. Difficult to get older people in and out as well.

5. The ailerons are heavy.

6. The elevator is very light and sensitive - too sensitive. It's fun to watch the untutored rotate one. This and No 5 take getting used to, its not well coordinated.

7. It glides like a brick. Very high ROD with power off, normally land with a little power on until the last second.

8. This aeroplane will bite if the base to final turn is fumbled.

9. It's not a STOL aircraft by any means.

10. Older ones need to have the main spar checked for exfoliation corrosion.

Apart from that, Its a nice tourer and reasonably quick, but I wouldn't want learners near one. things happen just a little to quick and its not forgiving compared to the Good 'Ol C172 or Worrier.

P.S. We are adding an aerobatic Robin to our fleet early next year.