PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - upgrade failure rates / sacked while in trainig
Old 15th Nov 2006, 01:55
ACMS

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
FCUX
ACMS what you fail to recognize here is that we are not on street patrol in Fallujah, or taking a stroll through the Amazon with only a spoon and a map. We are professional pilots employed at a major airline. We are grown men and women. I missed the part of my job description that said I needed to hide a "shiv" in my waistband or keep checking my back every few seconds for irate monkeys.
correct, we are not in a war. BUT you must be on your guard during training and checking, this is a major part of playing the game. I don't know what a "shiv" is but you should check over your shoulder every now and then.
First of all Numero Crunchero, your statement is a huge contradiction. You obviously cant "play the game" and be honest at the same time...thats why its call playing a game.
You have to lie, suck up, do things you dont feel are right, go against your gut feeling, ignore SOP to fly to the checkers convention or opinion, listen to their deviant behaviors in Wan Chai pretending to be impressed, and accept their criticism on ERAS though it may not be correct. None of which are traits of honesty.
ignore SOP to satisfy the checkers convention????????????? huh Not on my fleet you don't. And i would hope that most trainers on the other fleet would be the same. SOP and standardisation are the catch words on the 3rd floor.
As for there not being a business out there where there isn't ass kissing. Its called FedEx, UPS, BA, Virgin, etc. There is no need to play games, to the extent that is required at CX, to gain advancement. You go through a very selective process called an interview which roots out most of types of pilots they dont want, you then gain experience in the right seat, when your time comes they then TRAIN you to upgrade, not check you to upgrade. If you look at the success rates, they are guaranteed to be better than even the cx 777. The difference being the training department, cause on average pilots are all the same. (except for me perhaps... )]
Really? At Cx we come from many and varied backgrounds, Africa, North America, Europe, Asia ( not to mention NZ ) etc etc. This brings many different standards and ideas to Cx. That means our training dept need to adopt a slightly different method to ensure we are all on the same page.A dumbing down of the operation is required in some respects to reflect the lower experience levels of some of our crews. It is not and cannot be the same way Virgin, Ba, Qf, fedex, UPS, et al do business. I think if you compare our safety record then we more than equal those other airlines mentioned.
Now let me try to sum up my opinion.
We at Cx are not perfect, never have been never will be. The Star chamber system is flawed, and should not exist. There are some checkers out there that definately "have an excellent grasp of the non-essential" Guys that write too much in ERAS. That is the same in any airline, just ask your friends at Qantas.
Until the star chamber is history and all checkers are cloned the same things will not change here. Personalities will continue to play a big part of the process, we are human after all.
Be as professional as you can, do your job the best you can and play the game. It's not going to change overnight so adapt to your environment or become extinct. Harsh maybe, but true.
I don't know what else to say.