PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aircraft crash in Stord, Norway
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2006, 21:57
Anotherflapoperator

Urr,

The yellow inner spoilers will always deploy slightly ahead of the green outer ones. The roll spoilers are yellow driven BTW, as are the flap. assymetry brakes next to them.

Landing on a short runway like that with a 6kt tailwind gives me a shudder...no thanks. If they floated and touched down late then stood on the brakes without giving time for the wheels to spin up, then they would have managed a pretty long skid! Spoilers are very good in braking, at anything over 1800m runway, I tend not to brake at first, and let the spoilers do the hard bit for a second or so, but then my little old kite has very snatchy brakes that take a good feel for smooth operation.

There's a lot of reasons this could have happened. The Norwegian CAA will let us know which one it was. The 146 has fantastic brakes, but like anything, if you use them hard without antiskid protection, you'll lock them right up. The spoilers and a smooth progresive pull back on the stick will press the wheels in nicely and both main and nose can take a fair old firm landing without any problems at all.

Short field technique requires a positive sit down and conformation of spoiler deployment then a good squeeze of brake. Tail wind is certainly not one of my requirements!

The IOM is about 1800m and we had a 6kt tail limit on wet runways with our 146-200...if I can remember right. We miss you G-MIMA!

If I got no spoilers, I'd be looking at a go-around, but hindsight is no good here. I am intrigued by the engine clue though. The FCU is purely mechanically linked from the throttles with a thick bowden cable and the TMS operates actuators right next to the FCU on the engine itself.

It does sound like the wing got ripped off though. Nasty.